Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Remote Control Corral



In a house, managing all the remotes for TV, Cable box, Satellite dish, DVD/VCR players, etc. is a real bother.  In an RV, it is downright aggravating because of very limited table top spaces and the packup/unpack rituals that surround each move. 
 
I know that there are multi-device remotes available and I have a few but they all fail, in one way or another, to completely control all units and their features like I want.  Thus, I am constantly trying to round up this heard wild controls to find the one I need right now.
 
I have successfully used Velcro for mounting controllers for years and just needed to get focused on a more complete solution that will hold up through use and moves and keep all of them handy but out of the way.
 
 
 
 
At present, I am using the CLEAR 3/4" Velcro tape and have found that it is almost invisible on the our wallpaper when a remote is not on it.  The “Sticky Back” version has thinner pads so it holds things closer to the surface and that is a help on a vertical surface, like a wall.
 
With a little work, most of the controllers can be positioned so that they operate their units without having to be removed from the wall and that is even better than having to find the one you need after a move.
 
It is a work in progress so this is currently in the "try this" prototyping stage but so far, I am very pleased.  At some point, there may be some rearrangement for convenience and I am thinking of a few patches on the bookcase between our chairs but Mer never uses a remote, anyway, so that may not be a pressing matter.
 
ttfn
Budd

No comments: